When the area is clean of dead material, it is time to prepare the soil for your new sod. This is best done with a rototiller and a stiff metal garden rake (not a flexible leaf rake)
- Remove rocks and other debris with the garden rake.
- For best results, add organic soil amendments at a rate of 3-5 yards per 1,000 square feet.
- Rototill the area 6 to 8 inches deep. Rototillers can be rented at many rental yards and home improvement centers.
- Work the soil, level and smooth with rake.
- For best results, compact the soil with a roller. Rollers can be rented at many rental yards and home improvement centers. A roller can be used after sod installation to improve contact with the soil.
- Final grade should be 1 inch below walkways and driveways.
- Spread area with starter fertilizer at rate recommended on the label (except in the summer – it creates disease problems).
READY TO ORDER? HAVE QUESTIONS?
Contact our home office at 615-628-7097